Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hulk: Fall of Hulks TPB


I can't help it. Jeph Loeb's Hulk series just makes me laugh. I mean, the Intelligencia? A group of the smartest villains in the Marvel U taking on the smartest heroes? That's just a wonderful high concept. Factor in some great and original battles like the Red Ghost & his super-apes vs. the X-Men, and this is just good stuff.

I still think Loeb is playing a bit unfair with the Red Hulk reveal. Now that I know who ends up as the big reveal, there is a lot of stuff that threw readers off the scent. I'm interested to see how they play this out over the next few trades. Another interesting development is the turning of Doc Samson. I always liked Samson as is, I have ever since he took on the Hulk during John Byrne's run in the late 80's. I don't have a problem giving Samson a split personality, but I sure hope we get the real hero back in some sort of rotation after this story.

I was also a tad surprised at how quickly Black Panther got taken out. Red Ghost never seemed like that much of a threat before this! And can I assume that some of the other big brains get nabbed in the Incredible Hulks trade? I didn't see Hank Pym or Bruce Banner get taken. I feel like I'm missing pieces of the story.

Ed McGuiness' art is nice, but there are times when I missed details. If it wasn't for the detailed Hellcarrier diagrams in the bonus materials, I would have missed a lot of those finer details for the Intelligencia's base. But man, EMC sure draws nice throw downs, these fights are top notch.

Good

No comments: