Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Black Panther: Man Without Fear #518


David Liss has a fan in me. I'm going to be checking out all his comic work from here on out. The guy just gets it. This is the first story I've read from him, but he has accomplished a ton: new status quo for BP, new supporting cast, new villain, solid guest-appearances, a satisfying resolution, and a good cliff-hanger for the next arc. What more do you want?

BP takes on Vlad for the last time (for now), and there is already enough bad blood here to make Vlad a nice addition to BP's rogues gallery. BP and Cage also have a quick moment to set things right between them; it is hilarious seeing BP as the one speaking out against the Avengers after his history with them. Best of all, T'Challa gets two or three fantastic moments to show off how awesome he is during the final showdown.

That splash page that ends the conflict? Brilliant. Francesco Francavilla has knocked my socks off with his expressive, noir style that somehow delivers more action than seems possible. BP's gadgets look realistic, but still comic-y, and the guest stars have looked good too. I can't wait for the next arc that should feature Storm and BP taking on a classic spider-foe.

Excellent

2 comments:

David Charles Bitterbaum said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, and actually just interviewed David Liss about Black Panther as I too have been enjoying the run. It's on my blog www.thenewestrant.com for May 19th 2010

Timbotron said...

Nice blog! I'll start following you, it looks like we agree on quite a bit.