Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Avengers Academy #14


Sometimes, the bad guys need to win. I won’t say how or why, but if villain teams exist, eventually they should get to pencil a mark in the “W” column, and the Sinister Six get to do just that in this issue. Christos Gage has done a fantastic job over the last year making us care about these characters, and so I found myself really bummed as the fight wrapped up, with Reptil crying out how badly they needed the win.

The coolest part of the issue was seeing the “tweener” characters like Finesse and Striker form ranks with their classmates when the going got tough. Even though I have them marked as villains in my head, it is great seeing them trying to be heroes with their more altruistic classmates.

The Six have rarely looked this good. If you think about it, these guys are powerhouses. The students only have a few moments with a real chance, and that’s about right. Other than Tigra going down too easily, this is a great battle of wily veterans vs. the upstarts. And now I’m anxious for a re-match (although I don’t think Pym or Quicksilver should get in on it, let Tigra and the kids handle it!)

Sean Chen is a great choice for alternate penciller. He and Tom Raney are probably both “classic” artists at this point, so it’s easy to see why I love the style in this book every month. Fantastic comic.

Excellent

No comments: