Wednesday, May 11, 2011

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero v1 TPB


It's not fair how Larry Hama can step right into the groove again. We see so many creators try to come back to their signature creations, then prove that they just don't have the magic anymore. That's not the case with Hama, whose character immediately start spouting those awesome military terms and ridiculous threats. I mean, Dr. Mindbender's dialogue alone is worth the trade's price. (I though Mindbender died in that freighter on Cobra Island?)

For those who don't know, this title picks up immediately after Hama's GI Joe run at Marvel. No Devil's Due, no IDW. This is the classic characters in the classic costumes. I do find myself a bit confused on who is alive and who's dead, (Mainframe is alive and well here, but I know he died somewhere). This issue features Hawk, Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Stalker, Roadblock, Heavy Metal, and Mainframe. The Cobras are Cobra Commander, Destro, Dr. Mindbender, Baroness, Billy, and a surprisingly foolish Zartan. Zartan gets thrown around like a ragdoll for this entire story! I was also happy to see Dr. Venom making an appearance (sort of), he was a great villain for the first 20 issues of the Marvel series.

It's always odd seeing these books that have such a narrow target audience (in this case, kids who grew up reading the old comics). But since that's me, I can't complain.

Augustin Padilla does an ok job with the classic costumes, but seeing those Rod Whigham covers is a big tease. I'd love to see an artist with a bit tighter a style drawing some of these issues, it would make them seem like more of a continuation of the old Marvel Series.

Good

No comments: