Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Thor: Wolves #1

I'm a sucker for these "historical" Thor one-shots, but factor in the creative team here and I'm a sitting duck, even for a $3.99 title. Maybe it is just me, but I have an easier time spending that $3.99 on one-shots than I do on ongoing series.

Mike Carey has a pretty neat set-up, putting Thor on Midgard facing down Hela and some pretty nasty demons as they head up the rainbow bridge to Asgard, Thor and the other Asgardians can't quite get a presence on Earth until Thor establishes a tie with a mortal woman who recently claimed leadership of her village. Carey sets up some awesome parallel battles as the village priests try to kill Thor's anchor while Thor himself faces down Hela and her demons.

The lead demon has an awesome design from Mike Perkins. It's been awhile since I've seen Perkins doing super-hero material and I've missed his clear, Guice-influenced style. This is nice-looking book.

Good

No comments: