Friday, December 21, 2012

Daredevil #21



Geez. Where do I begin? Mark Waid packs this thing with so many quotes that I’m not sure I can even pick a favorite part. Seriously, do you want me to say the cover art is dynamic and calls to you off the stand? That the interior pencils are perfect in tone, kinetic, and exciting? That the plot and dialogue are logical, original, and thrilling? I've said all that. It's still true, though.

In fact, rather than having me rave about how this is the best book on the stands yet again, let me just give you some quotes:

“Expert smuggler… smart… creative… greedy… you’ll do nicely.”

“Explain yourself before your damn heart explodes!”

“If you’re that convinced that I have been in no way compelled to atone for my sins… then you don’t know me at all.”

“I will find Daredevil… and I will crush him.”

Look at that. Those sentences end with periods, sometimes. There is no need for comic-style hysterics when the dialogue is this powerful. And working hand in hand is Chris Samnee’s fantastic artwork. The guy can transition between bright and cheerful to dark and moody on the same panel. The whole sequence with Coyote proves that. 

And yeah, that’s the first appearance of the Superior Spider-Man there, huh? With one word bubble, I’m convinced. I can’t wait to see what happens next. 

Excellent

No comments: