Saturday, December 8, 2012

All-New X-Men #3



This is more what I had in mind following AvX. I wanted to see Cyclops and his gang of mutants out there trying to make things better as the new Brotherhood. Last issue had too much focus on the young X-Men, leaving me a bit cold. 

In this one, Cyke, Magneto, and Magik have a lot more to do. Bendis has a neat idea showing some folks protesting for mutant rights. It only makes sense that some of the people Cyke worked hard to save would remember what he accomplished. 


This must take place before X-Men #1, because Emma Frost was present and I don’t recall seeing the messed up mutant powers that make up so much of the plot here. I like the idea that some characters got power-ups from being a Phoenix host (like Magik), but the idea that it affected Magneto seems unnecessary. Stick to the Phoenix 5! If Cyke somehow took some of his powers, why not do that to anyone else?

In the end, I don’t think the pacing is fast enough for me to keep picking this up monthly. Stuart Immonen’s artwork is stunning, but I’m not going to pay $3.99 for something that reads this quickly. But man, I have to admit the kinetic power in the way Immonen draws energy blasts is fantastic. Cyke's amped up powers look tremendous, and I could almost hear Magneto crunching those cops' guns.

I like this book, just not $3.99-like. I’m switching this to dollar back issue status! Bring on the digital sales!


Fair

No comments: