Friday, June 29, 2012

Walking Dead #99

If you can believe it, this is the calm before the storm. Issue #98 was absolutely insane, and I trust that 100 is going to be off the rails too. So Robert Kirkman is giving us a moment to grieve our fallen cast member and to prepare for next issue’s devastation.

I mean, issue 50 was absolutely brutal; it totally shook up the status quo of the book. Of course, I’ve grown accustomed to our new cast over the past few years, so I’m still hoping that Kirkman isn’t about to clean house again.

After a nice service, Rick takes a small group out of the Community to head for the Hilltop. I’m a little alarmed based on who makes up this crew. Rick, Carl, Glenn, Maggie, Sophia, Michonne, and one more guy whose name I can’t remember is a pretty solid core cast IF Kirkman kills everyone in the Community next issue. I sure hope that’s not the case, but the potential is there.

I’d be much happier if Kirkman throws us a swerve, and the “Something to Fear” theme of the last few covers is actually our core cast laying the beatdown on Negan’s crew. I can hope, right?

Charlie Adlard does a wonderful job differentiating the core cast, but man, I need some names. I can’t remember 2/3 of the Community residents at this point. There were too many introduced at once, so while I can recognize them, I sure don’t know their names.

Excellent

No comments: