Thursday, June 21, 2012

Avengers #27

So clearly I’m missing something. Why is the Avengers tie-in showing this story? The same material is covered in Secret Avengers, but not in exactly the same way. In fact, I’m having a hard time reconciling the two parallel stories. It just doesn’t seem to make sense.

Walt Simonson is still a fantastic artist, but I can’t help but feel that he’s missing the mark with Protector. This guy looks like a kid, and it’s a bit harder to hold a grudge against him when he looks so young and confused. Bendis’ odd choice to make Protector immediately regret his actions is weird too. I mean, Protector betrayed his team (either with Ms. Marvel or not, depending on which tie-in you read) and sent them hurtling towards a sun. So that would kill them. That’s a full on, murderous betrayal. I don’t care if he’s surprised that the Supreme Intelligence hates Earth. It’s a bit too late to ask for specifics, doofball.

I am pleased that the savage Beast who shows up in this one is once again the ape-beast. The Avengers office is clearly fine with Hank McCoy going back to his original look. The X-editors need to stop fighting it and do the same.

It’s just a strange situation. With Bendis writing some of the core AvX series, I would have thought that the core Avengers title would be a little more focused on the Earth-side situation. I mean, the space team is already starring in Secret Avengers. Why go to that well twice?

Average

1 comment:

Reno said...

I agree. I couldn't reconcile what was happening here with what was happening in Secret Avengers. It's noted in the latest Secret Avengers issue that the events in Secret Avengers came before the events here, but even if you sequence events that way they still don't jibe with one another.