Saturday, April 20, 2013

Uncanny X-Men #4


Well. I really liked this when I read it as the newest issue of All-New X-Men. Other than some strange new dialogue from the Stepford Cuckoos, most of the drama in this appeared in that other issue.

The new material we do get is actually pretty strong. I enjoyed the interplay back at the Xavier Institute between the new students, and I’m thrilled to see one of the original X-Men join up with Cyclops’ more militant faction of Uncanny X-Men. I certainly wish more of Wolverine’s students were switching teams, but I’ll take what I can get.

It’s too bad, Bendis has been showing off on these books for the past few months, but this issue can’t help but feel like a stumble. This type of slow plotting, basically recapping another comic we’ve already read is the type of thing that makes me feel like I’ve been tricked out of my $3.99. Crossovers shouldn’t mean seeing the same story twice from different points of view.

When this book is on, it is really quite good. Hopefully the focus on Magik next month will enable this to get moving again. No more treading water!

Average

No comments: