Thursday, April 25, 2013

Daredevil #25


So yeah, this is the best solo book on the stands. In fact, I’d say that since the series launched, it has never been out of my top 3. It is simply amazing that Mark Waid has turned Daredevil into one of my favorite series. After 25 issues, I may finally have to say that I like the character!

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen any references to Stick, the crazy dude who trained Daredevil. But DD needs to draw on those memories when he goes up against Ikari. Ikari is an evil copy of Daredevil boasting the same powers, but with a very different attitude. He’s rocking two kukris as opposed to DD’s billy club.

This is a wonderful issue. Seeing two guys with similar power sets can be boring, but it can also be a fantastic examination of fight styles and abilities. Waid and Chris Samnee do a fantastic job with this combat. It opens in a plain warehouse but rapidly breaks out into the city. It ends up being a frantic race above the streets before ending in a sporting goods store. The whole time, DD’s narration gives the reader a clear idea into his thought process and planning. The fact that Ikari counters almost every one of Matt Murdock’s plans just makes him scarier.

And Ikari is so quiet! He smack talks just a few times during the encounter, but most of the time, it is just fighting. Waid could leave the panels blank, that’s how clearly Samnee choreographs the fight. But Waid’s dialogue for DD gives the encounter a frenetic pace and a sense of danger that just adds to the issue.

This is just about my perfect comic. Good plot development, lots of fighting, and everyone stays in character. Wonderful.

Excellent

1 comment:

KlownKrusty said...

Agreed!

I have to say I absolutely did not see that end of fight shock with the baseball bat coming. It was so unexpected and yet so logical that it actually sent a chill down my spine.

Brilliant, brilliant work. And not even the best issue of the run so far!