Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Indestructible Hulk #7


Wow. I did not see that ending coming. If you are a fan of the Hulk, Thor, or Walt Simonson, you owe it to yourself to check out this issue.

I’m not sure if Mark Waid tailored this issue for his artist, but the presence of “classic” Thor sure seem to make that likely. In fact, there are so many elements that show off Simonson's talents that it is sort of stunning. When Bruce Banner takes his new science team through a portal, they all gear up in some sweet sci-fi combat suits. The uniforms have a consistent, expressive facemask that draws the eye, and they are all colored differently to help differentiate characters. I’m not saying that I have all these guys straight yet, I can’t remember all their names, but it is great seeing some folks out in the field trying to keep up with Hulk and Thor.

For villains, we get some classic frost giants; they are generic, but they do look impressive when Thor and Hulk spend time smashing them up. (To nice “KSSSHH!!!” sound effects!)

This book is not complicated. Hulk and his team travel through a portal, meet Thor, and smash some giants. The big “Wow” moment is the cliffhanger. I’m a little surprised this made it through editorial. I don’t think this would have flown in an older Marvel regime. I don’t think it bothers me, but it does shock me!

Good

No comments: