Friday, March 1, 2013

Indestructible Hulk #4


Mark Waid has done an insane job with this title. In only four issues, this new status quo for the Hulk feels like the beginning of an era. (Come to think of it, Hulk has had a lot of status quo changes over the years, hasn’t he?) I think part of the reason I love this setup so much is that it reminds me of the Pantheon era. Just like in those issues, Hulk has a huge organization pointing him in the right direction while interacting through snarky sidekicks.

Of course, it is only natural that there is an aquatic helicarrier. There sort of had to be, didn’t there?

I’m also tickled at the villain for this two-parter. I had no idea who that was reaching out on that cover, but it’s a Marvel classic. Just one that hasn’t crossed paths with the Hulk too much. I love the use of lady-troopers in the Lemurian army, we don’t see that enough. It’s also neat seeing how the mystery villain utilizes so many different undersea powers to aid him in his conquest.

If I had to make a complaint, it is that I don’t like the idea that Hulk’s new armor gives him an air bubble to breathe in. It’s just like the Legion trans suits. Maybe it is because I love seeing Iron Man tricked out in different armors for different situations, but I’d love to see Hulk looking a bit more “undersea” you know? Let’s get some toyetic costumes going!

Good

No comments: