Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Silk #1

Of the new Spider-series, my favorite is definitely Silk. I’m not sure if it is set in the regular Marvel U and just makes sense to me, or if it is the sheer joy that Cindy Moon exhibits when she heroes around. Either way, I like Silk, I like Cindy Moon and her secret identity life, and I like how Robbie Thompson is handling both.

For those unfamiliar with her, Cindy Moon/Silk is a new spider-character introduced in Dan Slott’s Spider-Man. Cindy Moon was on the same field trip as Peter Parker in High School, and that spider bit her first. The enigmatic spider-totem Ezekiel hid Cindy in a bunker for years and years. Spidey freed her, and since then she and Peter have had a spider-pheromone infused infatuation with each other. She has also established herself in her own super-identity as Silk.

By day, Cindy Moon works for J. Jonah Jameson at a Fox News analogue. She spends the rest of her time as the vigilante Silk. For a rookie, she’s already got the witty banter down, and she’s cultivating some new super-villains for her rogues’ gallery too.

Cindy is very likable, and her sad life in the bunker hasn’t turned her into a negative person (much like the excellent Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix!). In fact, one of my favorite things in this first issue is that Cindy has a really tough time dealing with people being around. She can’t take it after spending so many years alone in her bunker. At the close of the issue, she decides that the pre-paid bunker is actually still her home, and she returns. How interesting is that?

Stacy Lee’s art has way too much of an anime vibe for me, but again, like many of the current relaunches, I’m pretty sure I’m not the target audience. The art fits the story but the contrast with Dave Johnson’s fantastic cover is a bit jarring for me.


Of the spider-launches, this is my favorite. This is a GOOD comic starring a likable heroine in the mainstream Marvel U. It is good stuff! 

No comments: