Friday, July 25, 2014

Powers Bureau v1: Undercover TPB

It’s been a long time since I checked in on Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming’s corner of the independent comic scene. I started off a big fan of Powers back in the day, so when I saw this new relaunch sitting at the local library, I decided to give it a whirl.

I need to catch up, but evidently there was a huge battle in Chicago, and Walker now has some new powers. It sounds like he’s basically a Green Lantern, only he can only use his new powers when he’s on a mission of cosmic importance. I guess he and Deena tracking down a super-villain with super-sperm doesn’t qualify.

That’s right, the first villain in this volume is a dude who makes super-sperm that can impregnate men AND women through any skin contact. This is understandably gross, and it must be the kind of concept that Bendis has to keep tamped down when he’s writing X-Men. I’m glad he gets to indulge somewhere, because it is an original idea that leads to some explosive results. Deena’s foul language does grate on me a bit, but it seems to do the same for most of her new co-workers too.

I’m having a hard time remembering who Walker and Deena are working for, is that the lady who seems to have Big Barda’s powers and backstory? I know she was a fed in earlier issues of the series.
The rest of the villains in this volume are a secretive gang trying to grow super-powered kids for the mob. There are some ties to previous Christian Walker stories, so that leads to some neat interactions. I also love undercover stories. There is always one or two guys that just totally trust that undercover cop, aren’t there? I almost feel bad for those guys.

Avon Oeming’s art remains deceptively simple. While the details are sparse, the storytelling and scene-setting are strong. At this point, I don’t think anyone else could draw Walker’s square jaw just right.


This is a GOOD comic for Powers fans, either current or lapsed like me. 

No comments: