Thursday, May 7, 2009

Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular #2


This wasn't quite as good as the first collection. In fact, I don't think it was close. The first story is the best, featuring Luke Cage vs. Lone (Loan?) Shark as a corrupt official tries to make a quick buck by fixing up Cage's old neighborhood. The issue was pretty fun, with the interaction of Cage and Jessica Jones being a particular highlight. I loved how Jessica wants to get a turn fighting crime where Cage has to take the baby. Nice. Todd Nauck isn't a natural choice for this story, but everything looks fine.

I'm just not a fan of Adam Warren's style. He introduces us to Galacta, Galactus' daughter who wants to eat everything on Earth. The idea is funny, but the attempt to be relevant by having us follow Galacta's Twitter feed was just a tad much for me. I actually think Galacta's introduction weakens Galctus as a concept, so I'm kind of hoping that she doesn't stick around. The art is a little too manga-y for me too.

While I like Elsa Bloodstone, she is a pretty generic character. This story was basically an extended fight sequence with very little story. The art looks pretty close to Stuart Immonen's, which is a good thing, but the story is pretty slight.

Part 2 gets a Fair, Average, and a Average with an overall grade of Average.

No comments: