Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fusion #1


I picked this up because of the strong creative team, but I probably shouldn't have bothered. DnA are thrilling me on Marvel's cosmic titles, but there is just too much going on in this crazy crossover to really be that effective a story. There is a fair amount of time spent on the Mighty Avengers as they take on a Hulk-like Ripclaw from Cyberforce, and that part of the book holds up fine. But then the book veers off and starts dealing with Cyberforce who I don't know at all. They seem pretty generic, and the bits with Hunter-Killer (whoever that is) left me cold too. I'm not sure how the Thunderbolts would take out Ripclaw so easily when the Avengers couldn't, but that is really a minor quibble. My main problem is that there doesn't seem to be a story driving the mashup of this many comics. When mixing and matching this many characters (and merging universes) there needs to be some driving force to the story and I just didn't really find that here. I don't think I'll be sticking around for any more issues. Especially since the story is set with old teams that no longer exist in the Marvel U, it is too easy to just pass this ancillary title by.

Tyler Kirkham has a neat Marc Silvestri style that works well on the Thunderbolts and Top Cow properties, but does feel a bit off on the Avengers. He draws pretty people so his ladies all looked great, but his Wonder Man and Ares weren't as impressive.

Average

No comments: