Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dark Tower: Battle of Jericho Hill HC

Huh. So that was the battle of Jericho Hill I heard so much about. Peter David and Robin Furth do a decent job fleshing out the last days of the gunslingers as a group, but it felt sort of familiar. Just like in the Fall of Gilead, traitors make this happen. I was pleased that at least this traitor gets a bit more panel time and development, but really, I'm not sure Farson and his crew would have won if Roland or his Dad had been a better judge of character.

The most interesting aspects of this book are the additions to the mythos. I like seeing Roland leading a fairly large group of Gilead's survivors against the Goodman Farson. It actually feels for awhile like the line of Eld has a chance. I know nine years are supposed to pass with these guys fighting the good fight, but the plot skips over it so quickly that it feels like we're right back in to a tragedy, skipping over the more interesting material. I would have loved to see more of the gunslingers as a group while they thought they had a chance. Of course, I'm not complaining that the next storyline starts with Roland angry, alone, and out for revenge. That's the Gunslinger we all fell in love with, after all.

Jae Lee is back on pencils, and I can't tell where he ends and Richard Isanove begins. The art is moody and subltle, and it works best when it rockets out of its restive look into brutal action, such as the slow mutant attack. I would have liked Grissom's son to have a bit more distinctive look, I had a hard time picking him out of a crowd.

Fair

No comments: