Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Justice League: Generation Lost #1

I never would have guessed this would be the best comic I read today.

Keith Giffen and Judd Winick have a great chemistry going, judging from this first issue. They've got the voices for the core cast down. Booster sounds just right. Captain Atom, Fire, and Ice sound like they enjoy each other's company, and Power Girl is back to her old JLI-era self when she interacts with Booster. Best of all, I love Max Lord. By having Max feel regret and still believe he's out for the greater good, he becomes a much more fascinating villain. He could have killed Booster in this premiere issue, but he holds back...

The first half of the issue was a lot of fun, with the JLA, JSA, and the rest of the DCU all on Lord's trail. It was a great show of solidarity and a great build up for the series villain. By structuring the book in the way they did, Giffen and Winick have put the leads in a tough spot. The JLI'ers are lower tier heroes on their own against "the only one who ever came close to defeating us all." This issue set up a great, dangerous status quo and delivered some nice action at the same time. The sense of history is palpable on almost every page (the teleporters, Kord's embassy defenses) but things are still accessible for new readers.

I'm still broken up over Ted Kord's death, so seeing him all goofy and dead like that was a downer, but if Jaime Reyes is really joining this team, that will be a great move. He'll fit in nicely. I do hope we get some Guy Gardner time though, he's so important to the old gang. There is a TON of potential in this book, I can't wait for the next issue. The characters that brought me to the DCU are back together, and I couldn't be happier.

Aaron Lopresti does a nice job overall. I thought Ted Kord looked too goofy there as a corpse, but I can't complain about his takes on the core cast. Captain Atom looked particularly awesome, and I love it when Booster's goggles look just right. Maybe it's just me... but I think Fire needs a new costume.

Excellent

No comments: