Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Green Hornet #1

So maybe it's me. I just don't see anything that cool or original about the Green Hornet. I read this first issue to see if I was missing something, but it doesn't seem like I am. I like the banter between the Hornet and Kato, but that isn't really unique. The criminals were pretty generic. I was intrigued that the Hornet's wife knew about his secret ID, but I'm totally confused on the story structure. Two-thirds of the way through the book it says "Today" and I had to go back to see what the earlier sections were about. I don't know who anyone is well enough to care that Brit is getting walked out on. Or maybe that's the original Hornet's son at the end? I'm obviously confused. (Upon a re-read, yes, that is the son of the original Hornet, but man, talk about unclear!)

Kevin Smith's screenplay might have been a fun little actioner, and to be honest, I do like the way Phil Hester and Jonathan Lau lay out the action, but I'm really confused. Why is Kato a girl on that cover? I'd say this isn't my cup of tea.

Average

No comments: